I’d like to thank the lovely Kate Loveton for nominating me for this. Her blog is always a joy to read. This is a great way to get to know more about the bloggers we follow. As well as answering the questions below, I’ve also been asked to give ten random facts about myself. So, without further ado:
- I drink lots of tea and coffee. Not so unusual for a writer but I will nearly always pick a hot caffeinated beverage over anything else, including alcohol.
- I don’t like onions. Apart from the fact they make me cry, I’m not fond of the taste or the texture. I can eat them in dishes like curries and spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, etc but not on their own or where they are the main component of the dish, like onion soup or an onion tart.
- I have a Buzz Lightyear toy that talks. He’s my favourite Toy Story character and my boyfriend bought him for me the first year we started going out. I knew then he was for keeps! (My boyfriend and Buzz)
- I love Batman because, well, he’s Batman.
- I can read almost anywhere but not in the car or on a bus. Not in the car because I’ve been told I shouldn’t do that while I’m driving and not on the bus because I get sick. Trains and planes are fine. Maybe the transport just needs to rhyme.
- I’m an unashamed fan of the Eurovision song contest ( go Conchita!). For those who don’t live in Europe, that’s a pretty big admission.
- Following on from the last fact, I sometimes wish I had a beard so I could stroke it when I’m thinking. I know I could get a fake one but I don’t think it would be the same. Sigh.
- One of the last things I watched on TV that I cried at was a Guinness advert. It was very moving though I didn’t buy any Guinness. In fact I had to struggle to remember what the advert was supposed to be about!
- I don’t like pink – the colour or the entertainer. (Well, in small doses, both are ok I suppose)
- In fact I don’t like modern pop music at all; I’m a cheesy 80’s fan, and also a big metal fan. But I like classical music too. I guess I’m eclectic.
The next questions are ones Kate has requested the nominees answer:
What are you currently reading?
A Change of Climate by Hilary Mantel. I talked about it already on Wednesday’s post.
Who is your favourite author and why?
JRR Tolkien because The Lord of the Rings was the first book I read where I was so swept up in the story, and it came at a time in my life when I needed that escapism.
If you’re a writer, do you try to get down a certain word count each day?
I am a writer but I don’t like daily word counts. It’s fine for something like NaNo where you follow it temporarily; kind of like a diet. Good for a boost but not especially healthy long term. I can’t have it be all about the number of words I write – the quality counts for something. I think so long as you write every day, that’s what matters, however much it is. If you’re dedicated and passionate about your writing, you will always find a way to write as much as you can.
In 25 words, tell me about yourself.
I’m a geek with a pen; I write stories and draw pictures; I live on the west coast of Scotland and I’m full of chocolate.
Why do you blog?
Excellent question! I think it’s to reach and connect with other people of a similar frame of mind; where I live is quite remote and I don’t necessarily have access to a lot of like-minded people. Over the last year though I’ve found it’s been a great thing to do regularly.
What’s your favourite song or piece of music and why?
This changes on a daily basis! I think I’ll say Into the West by Annie Lennox, found on The Return of the King soundtrack. A very beautiful song with a lot of meaning
How many magazines do you subscribe to and what are they?
I only subscribe to one, the Writer’s Forum, for obvious reasons – it’s full of useful tips and regular competitions
Share one weakness and one strength with us.
I’m very insecure about myself but I’m also a fairly optimistic, glass half full kind of person and I see the beauty and good in a lot of things.
Which animal are you most like and why?
This is the hardest question to answer! I’m probably a bear – I’ll eat anything.
Share one goal you plan to achieve in the next six months.
To finish my novel completely, ready to submit for publication.
Now I’d like to nominate the following bloggers for their wonderful contributions to my daily procrastination exercises. If they accept this award, they have to nominate several bloggers themselves, answer the questions I’ve listed below – and, only if they desire, provide ten random facts about themselves.
Here are the questions I would like these lovely people to answer (if they’re up for it):
Which book/author/artist has had the most impact on your life and why?
What have you done that you’re most proud of?
How do you motivate yourself when you’re feeling down?
How do you unwind after working/writing?
What’s your favourite food?
Name three songs that form part of the soundtrack to your life.
Tea or coffee?
Where is the most exciting place you’ve visited?
Give a shout out to an awesome person in your life.
Which fictional character would you be and why?
And there we have it! Please check out the blogs I’ve named and enjoy!